• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too late to collect on judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sapphire1188

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I finally decided to record my judgment, in the county where my debtor owns a house. Upon searching the records, I find a notice of default filed a few days earlier, indicating foreclosure has begun.

If I record the judgment, and then the debtor refinances, how will that affect my judgment, since I filed after the notice of default?
Will the new lender insist that the judgment be paid off? What happens to my judgment if the property goes to sale?

Thanks to all.

Steve

JETX

Go ahead and record your lien.
The worst that could happen would be your property lien (on that property) would be waived by the foreclosure.
And the debtor could try to refinance to stave off the foreclosure and your lien would need to be paid first.

Your judgment lien could also still show up on any title search or search of the county records for the debtor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">