• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's vehicle is it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kel4377

What is the name of your state? NY
I purchased a vehicle long before my husband and I were together, and it is still only in my name. Because we're married, is it now legally his also? I thought whatever you come into a marriage with is yours and whatever you acquire together is both of yours.

Jeter

In NY the ownership of the property depends on how it is "titled", or held, by the owner or owners. Whether married or not upon aquisition, property that is solely in your name is yours. If you have real property with tenancy stipulations (Joint tennants in common, JTWROS, etc) wherein the surviving spouse becomes owner of the property when the other dies, then the spouse can claim ownership at that time.

Last edited:

kel4377

Well, the title to the car is in my name, the car insurance is in both our names. I thought that it was legally mine, since I purchased it long before we were together and it is still only in my name.

JETX

The names of the covered parties on the insurance has no relevance as to ownership of the vehicle. Simply, if your name is the only name on the title, it is yours.

kel4377

Thank you. I thought so. The police tried to tell me it was both of ours. I kept saying, "Uh no, it's mine. I bought it, paid for it, it's in my name." :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">