• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

schubie

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My grandmother passed away almost a year ago. My mother passed before that. I have one uncle on that side of the family. I am unclear on a lot of details so bear with me. I received a letter from an attorney at the time of my grandmothers passing telling me that I would have been entitled to part of the estate had my grandmother not left a will. Apparently when my mother passed, my grandmother changed her will so that my uncle would be the sole beneficiary, but in my uncle's own words, my grandmother left specific instructions to "take care of the grandchildren" and even stated an approxamite dollar amout.

I and my brothers are not particularly close with my mothers side of the family. But it has been almost a year and I have almost no word of what is going on. I do know that my uncle sold my grandmothers house in August and from my understanding this was the last step in taking care of my grandmothers things. Could things still be in motion? If I continue to hear nothing from my uncle what options to I have?

I do not want to have to fight over what is really such a little thing. I did not expect much if anything from my grandmother. But I feel as though I should weigh my options.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Dandy Don

It is possible that probate is still open for this estate but it would seem a bit unlikely. If you know the city where the decedent died, check at the county courthouse probate court for that city and get a copy of the will for yourself so you can see exactly what it says and also get the name and address of the executor.

It does seem a bit strange that they didn't go ahead and tell you exactly how much you were supposed to get, but maybe they weren't in a position to tell you that exactly until outstanding debts and taxes were paid. Also odd is that they didn't say whether her instructions about what the grandchildren would get were left in the will or in some other separate document such as a letter or attachment.

S

schubie

Dandy Don said:
It is possible that probate is still open for this estate but it would seem a bit unlikely. If you know the city where the decedent died, check at the county courthouse probate court for that city and get a copy of the will for yourself so you can see exactly what it says and also get the name and address of the executor.

It does seem a bit strange that they didn't go ahead and tell you exactly how much you were supposed to get, but maybe they weren't in a position to tell you that exactly until outstanding debts and taxes were paid. Also odd is that they didn't say whether her instructions about what the grandchildren would get were left in the will or in some other separate document such as a letter or attachment.
Don,

Thanks for the reply. I probably should have got a copy of the will much sooner than now but I was kind of waiting on my uncle. For all I know my grandmother just gave verbal instruction to "take care" of the grandchildren. And to tell you the truth, I would not be the least bit surprised if that wish was not or will not be taken care of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">