• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

division of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tstowers

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I have been married for 5 years and left my husband 7 months ago. I am filing for divorce on my own. We have a home together, however he purchased the home before we were married. There is some equity in the home, however before we married he took out a second mortgage and owes back taxes. I want to know if I am eligible to recieve a portion of the equity in the home or is the second mortgage and the back taxes would have to be paid first.

The only thing that has both our names on it is a car, and I left that with him and he has been making the payments.

Would you suggest that I just ask for the divorce and none of the equity?

I have all the other possesions I want from the home. I didn't take any furniture however, so I was thinking that I should be compensated for something.

What is your advice

nextwife

" I want to know if I am eligible to recieve a portion of the equity in the home or is the second mortgage and the back taxes would have to be paid first. "

The "equity in the home" IS what remains after all other liens, etc are deducted from value. Unpaid taxes are a form of lien, as are all mortgages and judgements.

A

anadude

based on the limited info you provided, you most likely won't get jack in alabama for a marriage that only last 5 years and 7 months of that you've been split up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">