• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get my money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nay2774

What is the name of your state? WI

I need to know where to go to start small claims proceedings. My ex boyfriend owes me money. While we were together living in Illinois he borrowed money from me. When we broke up this balance was up to $5000. When I moved back to Wisconsin and left I had him sign a promissory note stating what he owed and how it was to be paid back. We have been broken up for 3 years now and he paid me $125 every month until now. We remained friends until now. He recently was questionning how much he still owed and said he was going to pay if off in full. The last check received was 9/23. The balance he owes is around $1300. I am wondering where I file, in my county or in his in Illinois? And also if I have a shot. It seems like an open and shut case but I had to go to small claims back in college for roommate issues and that ended up a mess even though I was in the right. This makes me nervous but I want my money!

Thanks for any help offered!

JETX

"I am wondering where I file, in my county or in his in Illinois?"
*** There are several possible issues regarding venue including where was this promissory note signed. However, the best answer to your question is to sue him where his assets are (presumably in his home county). The reason is that if you win, you want the judgment to be rendered where his assets are so that you can enforce the judgment in the event that he doesn't pay.

"And also if I have a shot."
*** Based on your post, it would appear that you have a good chance of winning. However, this is based only on YOUR side of the story and without any consideration for what defenses he might offer against your claims.

N

nay2774

and my response would be that I have everything documented from where the 5000 accrued to how it was paid off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">