• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bike damaged in parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NeeedHelp

What is the name of your state? CA

At the supermarket parkinglot, I parked my bicycle on a tree. When I came out, a nearby shopping cart collection cage fell over and landed touching my bike.

From visual inspection , it just looked scratched, so I starting riding away. Only when I was breaking that I noticed my lever was snapped, not engaging the break! Thank god I was still in the lot.

When going back into the supermarket to inquire how to file a claim for damage, I was told it was the property owners who is responsible. They took pictures of me, bike, damage, the fallen cage, which they kept.

I want some one to pay for having my bike fixed by being damaged in this "accident". By law, who is responsible? Who can I collect damage from? How complicated or lengthy is the process? How likely am I to get anyone to accept responsibility and pay?

It should be a small amount compared to other "accidents", but I want to know if it's worth my effort. I just keep thinking the principle of someone taking responsibility is important for me to report. I mean, what if I got into a moving accident in traffic b/c I didn't find the damaged part early? I was lucky.

Anyone have experience, knowledge on any of my questions?

Jeter

If you want someone to assume responsibility, look in the mirror. Nobody made you chain your bike to that tree and I'm quite certain that the tree wasn't planted there for that reason. Sometimes life just ain't fair!

HomeGuru

NeeedHelp said:
What is the name of your state? CA

At the supermarket parkinglot, I parked my bicycle on a tree. When I came out, a nearby shopping cart collection cage fell over and landed touching my bike.

From visual inspection , it just looked scratched, so I starting riding away. Only when I was breaking that I noticed my lever was snapped, not engaging the break! Thank god I was still in the lot.

When going back into the supermarket to inquire how to file a claim for damage, I was told it was the property owners who is responsible. They took pictures of me, bike, damage, the fallen cage, which they kept.

I want some one to pay for having my bike fixed by being damaged in this "accident". By law, who is responsible? Who can I collect damage from? How complicated or lengthy is the process? How likely am I to get anyone to accept responsibility and pay?

It should be a small amount compared to other "accidents", but I want to know if it's worth my effort. I just keep thinking the principle of someone taking responsibility is important for me to report. I mean, what if I got into a moving accident in traffic b/c I didn't find the damaged part early? I was lucky.

Anyone have experience, knowledge on any of my questions?
**A: give me a brake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">