• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interest on lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cwebster

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Ok...although I'm not very proud of this, I was sued by my local gas company for money I owed them. I just couldn't pay it, I'm on disability (only $600/month), have 3 kids and when the gas bill came (it was running $300/month) I had to decide if I wanted lights and food or heat. So anyway, they sued me. I originally owed about $350 but the suit called for around $700. The judgement was placed against me and now they're adding interest per day. Can they do this? I just don't see how they can, when they give service they don't make you sign anything and I was trying to get up the money to pay it before this happened but now there's no way I can. It's not like I don't want to have heat there is just no money to pay. And if I had all this plus interest I would have paid in the first place. At this rate I"ll never be able to get the gas turned back on.
If anyone just knows if there is anything I can do about this interest I'd appreciate it.

JETX

"Can they do this?"
*** Yes. The judgment that was rendered against you includes interest until the debt is paid. The statutory judgment interest in Alabama is 12% per year. As long as the daily interest charged is based on the allowed annual interest on the judgment, they can charge the interest daily.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">