• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where should I file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

random

What is the name of your state? MN

I lived in OR past 10 mths and now moving to MN on job. Is it absolutely important to wait for 6 mths before filing divorce? Can I file now in OR and after 6 mths request a transfer to MN if needed?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can file in OR before you move, and then you will have to return to OR for any court appearances as long as your spouse still lives in OR. Once you move to MN, you must wait until you've lived there long enough to establish residency (6 months sounds about right). However... your spouse can still file in OR (and you'll have to go back there for court appearances), and/or OR will retain jurisdiction over the disposition of any property in OR. Really, you're better off trying to settle as much as possible before leaving.

And, uh, if you have kids - it's more complicated.

R

random

Actually I didn't detail my situation. Spouse is in NY and has our kid. How does a kid complicate the situation?

So I can
1) file and fly to/fro OR till I am a resident of MN and then may get it transferred to MN
2) file in NY where spouse/kid live (can I do that if I am not an NY resident myself?)
3) file in MN right away praying that court doesn't void it on residency (does court ask for proofs)
4) file in Nevada, where I heard anyone can file from out of state!!

You are right, it is complicated - so anyone please HELP me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">