• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One sided divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NickD

What is the name of your state? WA

I was married to a german. We got married in Vegas. Happily married for 2 years, she went to germany and didn't come back. I filed about 6 months later and sent her the paperwork. (no kids, no property issues, no alimony)

Little did I know that she had filed in Germany. A laywer sent me papers in German that said my wife wasn't signing anything. I was informed that a divorce was already in process. So I just let it go. I never received any paperwork after that.

I imagine I am still technically married here in the states. I travel all the time. It's been 4 years. No contact, no phone number. Is it just a matter of going to a lawyer and filing? I am in Iowa right now, but only till Dec. Then it's to Texas...does the state really matter? A bit of info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and why did I wait so long? Out of the country for a year, and travelling. And harbored the small thought she might come back...

H

hexeliebe

If she filed in Germany and the german courts have granted the divorce, you are legally divorced.

Your best step is to write the German attorney back and ask for a copy of the final divorce decree.

If you do not hear from him/her, then contact the U.S. Embassy in either Bonn or Munich through the U.S. State Department and ask them to secure the court records for you.

Und Viel Spass ins Neue Freiheit!!!! :D:D:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">