• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I stop the estate administer from giving away property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

christo

What is the name of your state? California

Here is the situation. Two close friends of mine died together in a car accident. They died intestate(sp?). Prior to there death they had expressed there wish for my wife and I to care for there 2 children. We were just awarded guardianship of the minors and are awaiting our court date for guardianship of the estate on Dec. 22nd. The paternal grandmother has a competing petition filed(she is a resident of New York).

Anyways, since she (the paternal grandmother) came out here for the funeral services she has taken control of the deceased's condo and even has changed the locks, along with driving there vehicles. She has not been making any of the mortgage payments or car payments until the day we went to court for guradianship. We did not have a problem at first with her probating the estate(she was awarded by the courts to be the administer of probate). But now we have a huge problem with it. She is giving away personal property which belongs to the children to non-family members before she has even filed an inventory of the estate. She has even listed the property for sale(which is good) but listed it with an agent and not with me(I'm a licensed real estate broker) and I would have sold the property and waived any and all fees. She will not co-operate with us on any matters and has been difficult in obtaining any of the necessary items from the home to care for the children.

How can I stop her from doing this?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

What are the items of personal property belonging to the children? It's going to be your word against hers in court, and you have no way to prove who the items belong to.

C

christo

well my understanding is that when a couple dies intestate, that all of the belongings will go to the children. I not personal property of the kids, like toys, games, pictures, etc. I mean just in general, can she give away whatever she wants to whoever? She has allowed some items of the deceaseds to leave with people and on the other hand she has told others that they must buy back any items that they wish. I just want the parents personal items to go to the kids, so when they are older they can use them or save them if they wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">