• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint ownership after death of co applicant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

antiquefreaks

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My wife and her mother bought a mobile home together about 4 years ago, my wife being the applicant and her mother being the co-applicant. My wife and her mother both lived in said house until her mother passed away from cancer a few weeks ago. They purchased life insurance on the home, and since her mother has passed away, the insurance has covered the house and is going to pay it in full. The payment for the house will be coming in my wifes name. My wife's father has now laid claim, saying that he has control of the house, since it was his wife that passed away, covering the insurance of the loan. Who actually has control of the house? We need to know what options we have. We have offered to take care of her father and have him live with us, but he has grown offended and angry. My wife's mother left no will, and her father is now trying to gain power of attorney. What should we do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

antiquefreaks said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My wife and her mother bought a mobile home together about 4 years ago, my wife being the applicant and her mother being the co-applicant. My wife and her mother both lived in said house until her mother passed away from cancer a few weeks ago. They purchased life insurance on the home, and since her mother has passed away, the insurance has covered the house and is going to pay it in full. The payment for the house will be coming in my wifes name. My wife's father has now laid claim, saying that he has control of the house, since it was his wife that passed away, covering the insurance of the loan. Who actually has control of the house? We need to know what options we have. We have offered to take care of her father and have him live with us, but he has grown offended and angry. My wife's mother left no will, and her father is now trying to gain power of attorney. What should we do?

My response:

Dad's a funny guy, isn't he?

First, who is he trying to get a Power of Attorney over? His dead wife? Guess what? SHE'S DEAD! A POA does not work for a dead person - - so, that idea won't work.

Second, look at the title of the trailer - - does it give your wife "right of survivorship"? Does the title say "or" between their names?

I really rather doubt dear old Dad can do anything. So, answer my questions and we'll take it from there.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">