• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One year separation....Can I still fault husband for desertion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brock Westfield

What is the name of your state? VA

My husband deserted the marriage one year ago. I still live in the house and continue to pay half of the mortgage. I was served divorce papers recently. Can I still pursue a "fault " divorce because he left or is it too late because we have been separated for a year? A property settlement has yet to be agreed upon.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Brock Westfield said:
What is the name of your state? VA

My husband deserted the marriage one year ago. I still live in the house and continue to pay half of the mortgage. I was served divorce papers recently. Can I still pursue a "fault " divorce because he left or is it too late because we have been separated for a year? A property settlement has yet to be agreed upon.

My response:

Are you talking about a standard brick and mortar house, or are you talking about a trailer?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Brock Westfield said:
An actual 3300 square foot house.

==================================

My response:

Okay, I just wanted to know since you mentioned you were still living in the house, but mentioning that you were was wholly unnecessary to your ultimate question. All you had to say was, "My husband deserted me" - - it doesn't matter that you're still living in the marital house - - at this point, if it matters at all.

So, since you mentioned it, I thought I'd ask about it.

Someone should be getting to your post soon. So, hang in there.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">