• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to evict a tenant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stevesmith

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

We have a man living in the house with my father. We are letting him live in the house for free in exchange for help in taking care of my 82 year old father. My father is going into assisted living, so I know longer need this care giver.

I have also caught him stealing some items from me and have filed a police report.

We do have a contract with this man, but it doesn't address the issue of when or how he will be 'fired'.

I have moved out of the house.

My questions:

1)Since he is not paying rent, do I need to give him 30 days notice in the eviction notice? Or can I call the Sherriff to do a lockout?

2) To 'encourage' this man to leave, is it illegal for me to get the electricity and phone turned off--since I own the house and will not be living there?

many thanks,
steve smith
oklahoma

Dandy Don

You need to be consulting with a local attorney who specializes in evictions. Evictions must be done strictly according to the law or if not done correctly it normally extends the amount of time that occupant can be in the home. Turning off the utilties sounds like a good idea to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">