• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse nursing home and home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hopeurok

What is the name of your state? PA

My father has remarried. His wife is getting home care and may have to go to a nursing home. I know he is responsible for paying for the care, but at what cost? Does he have to use all his savings and sign his car and home over to pay for her care. We want those things to be available to pay for his care if he needs it down the road, not to pay for her care now, leaving him with nothing.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hopeurok said:
What is the name of your state? PA

My father has remarried. His wife is getting home care and may have to go to a nursing home. I know he is responsible for paying for the care, but at what cost? Does he have to use all his savings and sign his car and home over to pay for her care. We want those things to be available to pay for his care if he needs it down the road, not to pay for her care now, leaving him with nothing.

My response:

Translation - - "Hey, we don't want our inheritance spent on that old bitch!"

Next year, you'll be coming back here to ask:

"How can we put dear old Dad away in a nursing home, and protect our inheritance from being spent on his board and care? We really want the taxpayers to foot the bill so we can get his home, bank account, and other valuables."

Too bad for you. He's responsible for paying for her care right up to the value of his home and other assets. It's unfortunate he never purchased Old Age insurance.

So, no matter how you slice the pie, you're not going to receive very much of an inheritance, if any at all.

IAAL

H

hopeurok

I'm sure there are plenty of nasty people who think that way. Apparently you are one of them. I'm not.

Mean time my father is sitting at home in tears fearing that his house is going to be taken away from him. I've tried to assure him that they can't take his house while he is living there. Does anyone have any relevant legal advise on the subject? I'm trying to alieve his fears.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hopeurok said:
I'm sure there are plenty of nasty people who think that way. Apparently you are one of them. I'm not.

Mean time my father is sitting at home in tears fearing that his house is going to be taken away from him. I've tried to assure him that they can't take his house while he is living there. Does anyone have any relevant legal advise on the subject? I'm trying to alieve his fears.

My response:

Translation: "I really need someone to agree with me."

Look, the information, and "bottom line" of what I wrote to you is "relevant" and correct. The taxpayers will NOT be paying for her care when there are personal assets available to pay for her care.

That's what's going to happen. The nursing facility will place a lien on the home. Your father didn't plan for their old age, and as a result, this is what happens.

IAAL

N

ncbill

A brief article on PA Medicaid limits

Here's a brief article summmarizing PA's Medicaid rules:

http://www.estateattorney.com/impoverh.htm

You didn't say how the house was titled, but the stay at home spouse will be able to keep the house (it is an exempt asset), plus whatever the asset limit is in your particular state (per the article, minimum $18,000 if they have that much)

Get the help of a local elderlaw attorney who will help you with what they need to do to prepare for the eventual Medicaid application, and can explain more fully which assets are exempt.

B

buckspc

Keeping house and car

The other spouse can stay and live in the home and have an automobile and each state has a different amout you can have in the bank. In Al. where my brother in law just went through this a couple of years ago with my sister he could have as much as 78k in assets. Now the one lone spouse is an altogether different situation. Most everthing has to go first before the state medicad will start paying. House, assets, stocks, bonds, buriel policy, beleive or not can only be for 1800, and 1800 in the bank. I think an old junk car you can have. Good luck and hope your fathers wife well. Buck

H

hopeurok

Thanks to buckspc and ncbill. My dad will be going to a lawyer next week. I just wanted to get some quick information to ease his mind a little until he could get an appointment. We know that if they both end up needing care, the house and all other assets will be used to pay for that care, as they should be. But he was being told that he would have to sell to pay for her care even though he was still living in the house.

Thanks for your concern. His wife is doing a little better, so she is able to stay at home for now. Hopefully she won't deteriorate again and can stay home so all of these funding questions don't matter.

To I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

You're a jerk.

Translation:

You're still a jerk.

J

JoeJ40

Rule inforcement needed!!!!!

Where is the manager of this forum?????? I will not log on again until informed by email that corrective action has been taken! The forum rules below need to be inforced in reference to posts made by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

You agree that you will NOT use the FreeAdvice Forum to post any advertisement, chain letter, solicitation or other commercial message. You agree that you will NOT post any knowingly false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, or threatening message. You agree you will NOT post material that is illegally invasive of another person's privacy. You agree NOT to post any other person's copyrighted material. You agree to pay FreeAdvice $250 for each posting that violates such terms and conditions.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Rule inforcement needed!!!!!

JoeJ40 said:
Where is the manager of this forum?????? I will not log on again until informed by email that corrective action has been taken! The forum rules below need to be inforced in reference to posts made by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Then please, don't log in again. There will be no corrective action. I've been here for nearly 4 years, and if there's something you don't like, you're perfectly welcome to find someplace else to go. No one is holding a gun to your head.

By the way, what is it that seems to be bothering you?

IAAL

N

ncbill

that your answer was factually incorrect with respect to Medicaid applications and exempt (the house) transfers?

if you don't like people moving assets to the exempt side of the balance sheet, fine.

but please don't mislead people - as the well spouse he won't have to lose the house even if she needs a Medicaid placement.

of course, should she die and he need placement Medicaid will place a lien on the house to recover the costs of his care

>By the way, what is it that seems to be bothering you?

Last edited:
A

advicesucks

IAAL has no qualms misleading people, and his/her answer was completely incorrect in this situation.

Speak to a medicaid planning attorney. Not only can you save the assets, you can also ensure they are preserved for heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">