• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death Of Dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goddess10

The State I live in is Virginia Beach, VA, however, the state my dad died in is in Baltimore, MD.

My dad passed away, and was living in an Ex-Girlfriend's home. She moved to SC and left him there. I asked her to bring pictures of my dad to the funeral in NC, where my dad was born, since she had access to his belongings. She didn't.

Needless to say, she is refusing to provide me with information, and is ignoring our calls. My question is, howe can I find out if a will was created, the attorney he used, and if my brother and I have access to his account.

He was to be awarded monetary compensation for an accident on a bus, of which a portion he planned to provide to me.

I hate to go through this, but as an ex who wasn't even married to my dad, it seems strange that she has all this access to his personal information.

What are my legal rights? I am over 21.

Thank you!

H

hexeliebe

Contact a Probate attorney where your father died and give him/her the details of the relationship with this lady, the facts regarding his death and the proported settlement and all accounts that may exist.

This is going to be far more complicated for you than for a qualified probate attorney.

Dandy Don

Normally the will is filed within 30 days after the death, so check at the county courthouse probate court to see if she has submitted it yet. If she has, then you can get a copy of it and also find out who the executor is and their address. Of course, the advice to get your own attorney was also very wise.

G

goddess10

Probate

Will an attorney be able to find out who my dad's attorney was in Baltimore? How would I go about locating that information, please?

I just talked to my cousin , and she says she has a copy of the will but wants to find my dad's attorney before she discloses who is in it.

I am in the process of getting my own attorney(waiting for a return call) because I don't understand why no one is talking to me. It's all very strange and stressful.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">