• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing property after decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heathercpa

What is the name of your state? WV
Three years ago I divorced my ex. In the decree I was awarded the home, but he was to stay on title, mortgage and continue to make half the house payments. The stipulation for distribution was "if I choose to sell home" that the profit would be equally divided. There was no time limit set to sell, or refinance. I have since remarried, and we have four children living in home. Two from the marriage that was ended three years ago. My ex now wants to quit making the payment, and be removed from the mortgage. I cannot afford to refinance. I did not touch his pension in agreement, nor ask for spousal support. It has already been ruled by a judge that this payment is not spousal support nor child support, but just payment for his interest in half the title. He is now wanting to force a sale. What are the chances of a judge allowing this? And if he is able to go back and change the agreement on this, can I seek part of his pension?

HomeGuru

heathercpa said:
What is the name of your state? WV
Three years ago I divorced my ex. In the decree I was awarded the home, but he was to stay on title, mortgage and continue to make half the house payments. The stipulation for distribution was "if I choose to sell home" that the profit would be equally divided. There was no time limit set to sell, or refinance. I have since remarried, and we have four children living in home. Two from the marriage that was ended three years ago. My ex now wants to quit making the payment, and be removed from the mortgage. I cannot afford to refinance. I did not touch his pension in agreement, nor ask for spousal support. It has already been ruled by a judge that this payment is not spousal support nor child support, but just payment for his interest in half the title. He is now wanting to force a sale. What are the chances of a judge allowing this? And if he is able to go back and change the agreement on this, can I seek part of his pension?
**A: I think the chances of a sale are good.

H

heathercpa

What about his pension? is there a way to change that, since he may be able to change the distribution of the marital home property?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">