• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions on estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

streicher187

What is the name of your state? pa

If a person is adopted away from the deceased I was wondering if they got anything? Person was adopted almost 100 years ago and since the local adoption(and other records) were destroyed by a flood.. I was wondering
A. are adoption records from so long ago kept anywhere else..
B.We found here adopted mothers will which states
"I leave to my daughter who I legally adopted" and is signed by her and her lawyer.. Was wondering if this would constitute proof of party being adopted..

Also If something happens to the estate(ex. money is stolen) before it is resolved are the lawyers at all responsible or is it only the executors response..

H

hexeliebe

How do you expect to get an answer based on the very slim facts you posted here?

S

streicher187

question

I was mainly concerned with
a. are pennslyvania adoption records from 100 years ago kept anywhere else or just in local courthouse
b.what constitutes proof of adoption..

nextwife

"If a person is adopted away from the deceased I was wondering if they got anything?"

You are trying to find out whether a person adopted 100 years ago recieved any inheritance from their bioparent? Or are you asking if they were entitled to recieve anything? As you are using past tense, sounds as though you are asking how to determine if they got anything from an estate that was already probated. If the adoption was 100 years ago,, the bioparent estate had to be a LONG time past.

If you wish to determine if the adoptee recieved any inheritance, the probate records of the applicable county courthouse should have a record of the bioparent will.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Last edited:
S

streicher187

it is the estate of my fathers sisters children(my cousin), 100 years ago my fathers parents gave birrth to a girl and gave her up.. she was adopted outside the family now her children are fighting for part of the inhertiance even though they weere adpted ousside the family.. I was wondering since the local adoption papers were destroyed what could be used as poroof of their mothers adoption..

nextwife

Ok, you may be able to establish the adoption WITHOUT having the BC, which is a sealed record. An attorney in the state of the adoption can tel lyou if you can access those records under these conditions.

First, if her adoptive parents died, THEIR wills, if filed, may establish her status as their daughter. Also, school records of her childhood may also show that she was the legal child of another. Use every geneological resource you can. As they have filed the challenge, you know her legal name? There may be a census in which she is identified as their daughter by them. Use cencus indexes. Do you know her adoptive parents names? Try for a copy of her marriage license and see what name was used. Have your attorney subpeana copies of their birth certificates and see what names are shown as their parents.

Also, the local school or library where she lived amy have copies of the school yearbook, church records, etc. These may all establish she lived her life as the child of her adoptive parents.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

It might not even be necessary for you to furnish proof of adoption.

Is the daughter's name specifically mentioned in the will?

Your posting is a bit confusing. You say you found her adopted mother's will. Is this will now being probated?

Exsecutors are responsible if there are any stolen monies, but you can't make a blanket statement, because if there were estate attorneys who helped advise and if they also stole, then they could also possibly be responsible.

nextwife

Please clarify. The kids of the child who was no longer legally your cousin's (once-removed?) are claiming rights to part of that cousin's estate? Because they claim heirship through birth or due to a will?

S

streicher187

Their claiming through birth, acording to them their mother was no longer adopted...
There is no will, We found one that he was working on before he died but it was never certified..
Their mothers adopted parents stated her name in the will it states
To my daughter (name) whom I legally adopted...

and their mothers birth certificate was also changed at some time to include her adopted parents as her parents...

S

streicher187

Aslo adopted mother died over 20 years ago so her will was dispersed and person in question received share of adopted parents estate..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">