• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Need To Probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Poohbear1845

What is the name of your state? Texas

My wife's mother passed away in October of this year. Before she passed away, she signed over all her assets to my wife. We have the deed to the house in my wife's name, all bank accounts and CD's are in my wife's name. In my mother-in-law's will there is a phrase that states "I devise and bequeath all savings accounts and certificates of deposit held in my name as follows:". Since all CD's and bank accounts were transfered to my wife before my mother-in-law passed away and nothing was in my mother-in-law's name, does that void the statement in her will?

My biggest concerns are that since nothing was in my mother-in-laws name, do we have to probate the will and if so, why? Also is there a time limit as to how long you have to probate the will?

H

hexeliebe

As long as there is a will, regardless of the question of assets, it will need to be probated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">