• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are they divorced or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kkwilli0801

What is the name of your state? TX

My boyfriend was married 11 years ago (at age 19). After 2 months of marriage, she moved away and they haven't seen or spoken to each other since. Someone said that after so long they may not be legally married anymore or that she could have filed for and gotten a divorce without his knowledge. How true is this and if they are still legally married can he get a divorce without knowing where she is. They had no children, shared expenses or property.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until he sees a signed divorce decree, he's married. Why on earth did he sit on his hands so long to sort this out? He needs to speak with an attorney to find out how to proceed.

K

kkwilli0801

I have been asking him that same question. The best he can come up with is that he never knew where she moved away to. My thought would have been "FIND OUT" but he said that getting a divorce was never a top priority until now.

2timearound

I know that he can file certain paperwork showing that he tried his best to find her. It has to be posted in the newspaper in the last town she was known to live in. The courts can give him the proper paperwork to do it. It should be even more simple than knowing where she is at

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">