• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by Swindle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rogers Daughter

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

When my step-mother passed we discovered she had taken out a home equity loan for $20,000. We thought it was strange because she had easy cash available through other means. My father left her well off.

We discovered the money was used to pay off her son's debt to the county for 'theft by swindle"charges. Evidently he had been convicted for stealing lottery tickets from his former employer, (convenience store).

He was paying her back in monthly installments.

The estate paid off her loan before we knew what it was for.

My question: Shouldn't he reimburse the estate for this money?

He stole other assets from the house before the administrator took the keys away from him, but that's another story.

Any help you can give is most appreciated!
Thank you!!

HomeGuru

Rogers Daughter said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

When my step-mother passed we discovered she had taken out a home equity loan for $20,000. We thought it was strange because she had easy cash available through other means. My father left her well off.

We discovered the money was used to pay off her son's debt to the county for 'theft by swindle"charges. Evidently he had been convicted for stealing lottery tickets from his former employer, (convenience store).

He was paying her back in monthly installments.

The estate paid off her loan before we knew what it was for.

My question: Shouldn't he reimburse the estate for this money?

He stole other assets from the house before the administrator took the keys away from him, but that's another story.

Any help you can give is most appreciated!
Thank you!!
**A: the loan was made prior to the death and before the estate was created so it was not an "estate" loan.

R

Rogers Daughter

So there is nothing we can do to recoup this money? It doesn't seem right that others are paying for his debt.:confused:

Not only that, WE are paying the fine for his illegal activities!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Rogers Daughter said:
So there is nothing we can do to recoup this money? It doesn't seem right that others are paying for his debt.:confused:

Not only that, WE are paying the fine for his illegal activities!
**A: stop complaining.

Dandy Don

Will he be getting anything from the estate where you could perhaps deduct the total repayment from whatever inheritance he is getting?

He is still responsible for making repayment.

R

Rogers Daughter

Now I'm Confused

Now I'm confused....

Does he need to pay this back or not? One of you says no the other says yes.

Are either of you lawyers?

He's already collected most of his share.

Any remaining will only be another $8000.00 or so, (not enough to cover the $20,000 loan).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">