• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is handwritten trust amendment legal document?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

srbeckle

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My mother recently died and had a living trust with my still living stepfather. She left me a handwritten note titled "Ammendment to living trust", instructing that on her death, her personal items such as jewelry were to be divided equally between my brother and me. First -- is this a legal document that carries any weight? Their "official" trust has everything going to my stepfather upon her death... her letter was intended to supersede the trust in this one area. If it is legal, how do I enforce it? My stepfather has her possessions and is aware of the letter but chooses to ignore it.

PS.. the handwritten letter is neither notarized nor witnessed. It merely is handwritten and signed/dated by my mother. It was sealed with instructions not to be opened until she had died.

Dandy Don

Unfortunately it does not carry any legal weight. She should have consulted with a trust attorney to have the trust document officially changed/revised, or she could have/should have made the changes, signed by her initials, on a copy of the trust document, but she probably did not know that. You can consult with a local trust attorney to get a legal opinion about this and perhaps use it as a negotiating tool to try to see if your stepfather would be sympathetic enough to go ahead and honor her wishes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">