• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support calculation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justhadit

What is the name of your state? NY Military reservist, been deployed for many months. Make considerably more on deployment than otherwise. Am contemplating divorce. Question: Since I will not be deployed indefinately, my income will of course drop after I return to my previous less well-paying position. How will they calculate the spousal support for my wife, who only works part-time? Children are teen agers, and we have a relatively new house that we can barely afford even on my temporarily elevated income.(She loves the house, and will not be willing to sell it even if it kills me to make the payments) There is no way that I will be able to pay the same after I get redeployed. I do not want to short change my wife, (she is a good woman, we have just gone different ways) but I do need to eat after this is done!

cmorris

They will initially base the payments on your current income. After a standard period of time (not sure-maybe once every year or two years?) it can be reevaluated.

2timearound

It would be up to the judge looking at your debt to income that the house would have to be sold so that both of you could have sort of life and anything that is left over would have to be spilt and you could make it if that happen that would be her 1 time payment for her support and then the kids support is different. It would take 2 years after the first look at your income to do anything unless you went back to court after you got back and tried to fight it again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">