• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY or NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

double_odds

What is the name of your state? NY

THE BACKGROUND
We were married in NY in March of '92, I was from NY but was renting an apartment in NJ with my wife a few months prior to our marriage. After the marriage we continued to live in our NJ apartment until our lease was up in Dec. of '93. At that time we knew our marriage wasn't working, we mutually decided to go our separate ways. We closed our mutual bank account and divided up the items we had accumulated. I returned to NY, my wife moved back to her mother's house in NJ. Except for a brief phone call some 9 years ago to close a mutual credit card, we have not had any contact in almost 10 years. A week ago I located my wife's current address and sent her a letter saying it was rediculous for us to remain married and we should get a divorce...she agreed. We have no children, neither of us owns a home, I have no pension or IRA and have no interest in splitting anything she may have.

THE QUESTION
I told my wife I would file for a legal separation in NY and after 1 year we could get a divorce (neither of us wants to play the "blame game"). She suggested we should file in NJ, since we hadn't cohabitated in more than 18 months, we were immediately eligable for a no-fault divorce. I'm fine with this except I read somewhere that we would be required to appear in NJ court to finalize the divorce. I haven't seen my wife in 10 years and am extremely averse to appearing in court. If I'm wrong, I have no problem filing in NJ. What is our first step in starting the process? or am I better off filing in NY?
Thanks in advance!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
NY is a pain in the ass to get divorced in. Go with NJ. The court appearance is a snap - the judge will ask some standard questions and then grant the divorce. All of 5 minutes, tops.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">