• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims award dismissed???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vbperez

What is the name of your state? CA

I took my ex-landlord to small claims and he never showed up....upon proving my case, the judge awarded me $550.

The only address I had was the apartment manager's office address (which is located in the apartment complex). The Defendant was served by sub-serving the apartment manager.

When I resided at the apartment building, checks were made out to the apartment manager.....concerns were also addressed to the apartment manager....everything that had to do with my unit was delt through the apt manager.

Now the landlord filed a notice to vacate judgement because he was not served in his home address.

Does he have a valid statement. He claims in the paperwork that he never knew about the small claims case.

By sub-serving his manager, wasn't it the apt manager's responsibility to give him the notice that he had just been served?

Please advise.

-Veronica

JETX

"Does he have a valid statement. He claims in the paperwork that he never knew about the small claims case."
*** Yes.

"By sub-serving his manager, wasn't it the apt manager's responsibility to give him the notice that he had just been served?"
*** No. You are required to serve the notice of the lawsuit on the proper individual. If the property is owned by an individual, that would be served on the owner. If it is owned by a corporation, then service on the 'registered agent'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">