• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

irishlass

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My boyfriend's ex-wife moved out of the house almost 2 years ago and is now threating to sell the home by the end of the month. Can she do this without his consent? Both names are on the mortgage and he lives in the home with his son.

C

CCPENNOCK

She can not just kick your boyfriend and child to the curb with a months notice if his name is on the mortgage. How was title held? She can start a partition action through the courts to have the house sold and the profits split between her ex and herself if title is held as joint tenants, tenants in common or community ptoperty. The proplem is if the title is held soley by her. Go back and take a look at the grant deed. CCP

HomeGuru

irishlass said:
My boyfriend's ex-wife moved out of the house almost 2 years ago and is now threating to sell the home by the end of the month. Can she do this without his consent? Both names are on the mortgage and he lives in the home with his son.
**A: who is on title and what does the divorce decree state with respect to disposition of the property?

nextwife

Yes, WHO is vested on title and what the decree states is what matters. Who is listed on the mortgage ONLY establishes who is obligated to the lender for payments.

I

irishlass

unfortuantely I dodn't know who is the vested person. I beleive it is my boyfriend, and unfortunately they are not divorced as of yet. They are legally separated.

HomeGuru

irishlass said:

**A: based on the new info my answer is yes, she can indeed threaten to sell the home without his consent.

I

irishlass

How can she do that when his names on all the papers too and she doesn't live there and has no interest in living there. Remember she left him!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

irishlass said:
How can she do that when his names on all the papers too and she doesn't live there and has no interest in living there. Remember she left him!

My response:

It doesn't matter whether she has an "interest in living there". What matters is that HER *money* is sunk in that house, and she wants her *money* out of the house.

Therefore, she files her lawsuit for PARTITION against your boyfriend if he's unwilling to buy her out, or sell the house, voluntarily.

Either way, voluntarily or by force, you're going to be put out on the street real soon if you don't make alternate plans for a roof over your head.

IAAL

I

irishlass

She also hasn't paid a dime towards the house since 3 months prior to moving out. She took all the money,never paid any bills and booked!

nextwife

"Both names are on the title to the house"

" Can she do this without his consent? Both names are on the mortgage and he lives in the home with his son.

**A: based on the new info my answer is yes, she can indeed threaten to sell the home without his consent."

I am confused.

HomeGuru, If BOTH are vested in title, no title insurer will insure a conveyance of this property without either the co-owner granting their interest, OR a court order requiring the sale. She, alone, without any CO, cannot convey the property. Or am I missing something?

HomeGuru

nextwife said:
"Both names are on the title to the house"

" Can she do this without his consent? Both names are on the mortgage and he lives in the home with his son.

**A: based on the new info my answer is yes, she can indeed threaten to sell the home without his consent."

I am confused.

HomeGuru, If BOTH are vested in title, no title insurer will insure a conveyance of this property without either the co-owner granting their interest, OR a court order requiring the sale. She, alone, without any CO, cannot convey the property. Or am I missing something?
**A: yes, you ARE missing something. Go back and read the question again, then read my response.

nextwife

Irishlass,. as was posted while I wrote my post, she CAN go to court to compel the sale. Co-owner needs to get their ducks in a row and prepare to buy out ex's interest. Rates are very adventageous.

They need to start shopping for a cash out refi AND get an attorney to etsablish the periods that no contribution toward payments was made by ex, , to see about deducting that period from payout of accrued equity. They need an attorney.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">