• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case against my employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

J.hendricks

CHICAGO, IL

My vehicle was broken into on work property and I was robbed of over $500 in personal items. My insureance may cover it but I don't believe they should have to. My employer has two parking lots on the property; one fenced and locked, the other open to whoever walks by. In order to save money on snow plowing two lots (no, it hasn't even snowed yet!), we have been forced to park in the open lot. There has already been one break in since this change of parking areas. Now, my vehicle has been broken into and I am out over $500 dollars in property. Since the SECOND break in, they have allowed us to go back to the locked lot which seems to be an admission of guilt in itself.

I need advice in this situation more than anything. Considering that my place of employment is in a bad neighborhood where there are police cameras on the streets, that there has been break-ins similar to my situation in the recent past and that there is the option of a secure lot that employees are not permitted to use on a consistent basis in order to save the company the money of an extra snow plow, I believe I have a case that I should be reimbursed for my losses. I understand that the vehicle is mine and therefore my responsibility. However, I am instructed to park in this private lot protected by video cameras that don’t even tape the goings on outside. Furthermore, I am not given ample time during the day to keep tabs on my vehicle. Please let me know whether or not I have a legitimate claim against my employer.

Thank you in advance for the advise.

Jerry Hendricks

JETX

"Please let me know whether or not I have a legitimate claim against my employer."
*** Based solely on the information in your post, you do not have a cause of action. The employer has no obligation to provide anything above 'standard' protection for the vehicles in the lot. In fact, since you state you were already aware of the risks due to prior activity, you have an increased obligation to protect your property, either by alarm or by not leaving "over $500 in personal items" in the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">