• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State of Legal Residency - Multiple State Nursing Homes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TheExec

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I initially held my now deceased mother's General Power of Attorney (Durable) while she was in nursing homes in Illinois and Maryland. All of her personal and financial affairs were handled by me in New Mexico. We had a joint checking account in New Mexico that was used to pay all expenses. All the nursing homes had my residence in New Mexico as her official address. Social Security had my residence address for her payments and correspondence. I filed her personal IRS tax returns using my residence as her "home" address. Nevertheless, she did not phyically live in my residence as it was necessary for her to be kept in the Illiniois and Maryland nursing homes due to her health.

For estate settlement and probate, if needed, can I use New Mexico for all legal purposes?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">