• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could They Be Hiding Something?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HerMajesty

What is the name of your state? Wy

I was 26 back in 86, the day my mother phoned and told me that my Grandfather had passed and left a large amount of money to me in trust to her. I, at the time lived in another state and never knew about his death untill sometime well after the fact. Therefore, I couldn't attend his funeral. Never did I receive a copy of his will since I obviously was mentioned in it. Hmmmmmm.....

Now it was 93 when his wife, my Grandmother passed. This time I was notified of her passing and flown out for her funeral. I never received a copy of this will either, but years later, I obtained her will through an attorney friend of a friend. From what I could understand of all the legal wording,I read that she left to my mother in trust some money for me, to do what she felt with it in order to help support my children & I and that she wasn't obligated to.

Just this past August my mother has now passed. I was flown out for her funeral but for some odd reason, my brother did not want to go to the family gathering after the funeral that day. He said that he didn't want to come back home too late since it was a long drive back, rather strange I thought! Anyways, from what info I got from my brother was that my mother left me her valuable necklace. Okay, so where's her will? I still haven't received a copy of it, aren't I supposed to since I am mentioned in it? I mean, hello here.....she was my mother!! Hmmmmmm......

My questions are, how do I go about getting a copy without getting in contact with my family? Do you think all this should give me a reason to hire an attorney to look into it further? I feel as though there are alot of things being hidden from me. Can a person legally fight for something left in trust, as long as they are of age?

W

wundering

just went through this myself...and i was listed as the third personal representative in the will, and was not notified of the will, i have found that a formal reading of the will is only in the movies. If her will went through an exectutive or attorney, it has to be filed at the county clerk in the town where she lived within 45 days. hope this helps....

Dandy Don

Normally the will is filed (within 30 days after the death) at the county courthouse probate court. Check there to see if it is there--if so, then you can get a copy.

At this point it is too soon to be hiring an attorney.

If you know where your grandfather died and your grandmother died, you need to be visiting the county courthouse probate court to look at their probate files containing the last will and testament and other financial documents in the file that will tell you whether or not funds were left for you. As it is now, you are only going on rumor and don't have anything definitive to go on. A trust is a private document known only to the trustee, so the trust will not be on file, but there might be a mention in the probate file of the name of a trustee or the name of a bank that might be holding a trust fund.

Don't get your hopes up very much. If your grandmother left money for you in trust, she may have made a mistake in giving control of that money to your mother--mother could and probably did spend it any way she wanted, when what the grandmother should have done is put the money into an account with your name as beneficiary/trustee with mother not having any attachment to the account whatsoever, so that the money could be untouched and be accumulating interest until you reached adulthood or whatever age that grandmother wanted you to get access to the account.

It is still too soon to be expecting to receiving anything from your mother's estate--it still needs to be probated and that may take a few months.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

H

HerMajesty

The attorney friend of a friend has already gotten me a copy of my Grandmother's will 4 years ago. written in her will, she did leave me some money left in trust to my mother to spend whenever and however she wanted to spend it for me. So there you are correct. That attorney said he could not find a will left by my Grandfather, which I found rather strange because I can clearly recall the day my mother told me that he left me money.What I don't get is how his will had simply vanished. Now that my mother has passed, who does the remaining money from this trust, left by my Grandmother go to? I never understood why this money had to be left in trust anyways. I at the time of Grandma's passing, was 33 years old, I am not handicapped, nor a substance abuser of any kind. Only a single parent strugglng to raise five children. Is it possible for me to fight and go against this trust to try and take control of whatever is left for me? It's been 3 months since my mother's passing, I don't get why I wasn't given a copy of her will especially since I was mentioned in it. How much longer do I have to wait before I hire an attorney of my own to help?

Dandy Don

Problem is that you don't know yet whether or not an official trust was set up or just a bank account calling it a trust. And you already admit that the money could have been spent on you, so I don't understand why you persist in thinking that there would be any money left. All you can do now is to check at the courthouse to see if ANYONE has filed to open up probate on your mother's estate and to see whether or not a will has been filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">