• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-citizen benificiary/disclaim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Complicated

What is the name of your state? IL

First of all, I would like to apologize if my english seems awkward. I live (and grew up) in Europe and english is my second language, so it might seem a little 'unnatural'.

Me and my mother recently heard of the passing of my great-aunt, who lived in Illinois. She left a sizeable estate which is to be distributed among three main benificiaries and several charities. My mother is one of those three benificiaries. This seems to pose several problems, as we learned from the co-executor of the will. Note that my great-aunts only living relatives are those mentioned below.

The "full" picture:

- three benificiaries: 1) 1 friend of my great-aunt, not related.
2) Neice of my great-aunt.
3) My mother, widow of my father(cousin).

Executor: the friend of my great-aunt, also benificiary.

Co-executor: Financial company that managed the trust (estate).

My mother was contacted by the co-executor several weeks ago with the message that she was one of the three benificiaries in my great-aunts will. The first thing she was asked to do was fill out a W8BEN form, because she is a non-US citizen but she does have a social-security number. The co-executor immediately mentioned to my mother that her non-citizenship would be a very big problem. The solution would be for my mother to disclaim her share of the trust in benefit of her children (me and my sister) who are US citizens. This raises several questions with me:

1) Is non-citizenship really such an obstacle that disclaiming, which seems a pretty big deal to me, is the only obvious solution?

2) Is it true that disclaiming would really benefit my mothers children (me & my sister) in this case? My mother is not directly related to my great-aunt, she was only married to my father(cousin) Is there a chance that her share, if she disclaims it, does not go to her own heirs or children, but to my great-aunts heirs? My great-aunt did not have any children and the first heir in line is her neice, who is one of the benificiaries.

Furthermore, we received the trust agreement from the co-executor, but not the will. We heard this week that the will was filed for probate, but the co-executor said it was not necessary for my mother to have a copy. If she does want a copy, can she request it from the county court where the will was filed?

The reason I'm asking these questions is that we are a long way from Illinois and it is very difficult for us to keep track of what these people are doing. Added to this, we can't seem to get any straight answers about anything. When my mother asked the same questions as stated above about disclaiming, the answer from the co-executor was that she "really wasn't sure" but would discuss it with someone over lunch :confused: Why suggest something you can't explain? Furthermore, mail seems to get 'misdirected' a lot, especially when it's coming our way, causing everything to take twice as long. And perhaps the most interesting thing is that calling any of these people is only succesful if you use a 'secret' number (i.e. they can't see where you're calling from) If you don't block your number, phones simply aren't answered.

Finally: Is my mother at risk of being conned out of her share simply because it is too easy? Ruling out the foreigner? Do we need a lawyer?

Dandy Don

Your English is perfect, and even better, you have a savvy understanding of a legal/business situation enough to conclude that you are being taken advantage of. You were very lucky to get a copy of the trust, since most dishonest trustees/executors don't even furnish that to the beneficiaries until the beneficiary asks for it.

Citizenship has no effect on a beneficiary's status, so this co-executor is either misinformed or is deliberately trying to mislead you.

The question about whether disclaiming can benefit anyone else or not can not be answered until you read a copy of the will. If you don't know which county courthouse probate court to contact, please mention the name of the city that the death occurred in and the name of the decedent and I can get the address and phone number for you. Yes, you can order a copy of the will if it has been provided to the probate court.

The secret phone number and the misdirected mail are also red flags that these people are not willing to be completely honest and upfront with you. Yes, it would be advisable for you to retain a trust attorney in the same county where the estate is being probated, with the benefits being that instead of the co-executor having to go to the expense of contacting you overseas they can provide any information that you need directly to your attorney, and the other benefit being that your attorney can also figure out whether what they are saying is true or not, and then he can communicate about the status of the probate/trust by getting in touch with you.

Certainly sounds like a most interesting situation with a delightful outcome for you and your mother!

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

C

Complicated

Thanks for your reply!

Dandy Don said:

Citizenship has no effect on a beneficiary's status, so this co-executor is either misinformed or is deliberately trying to mislead you.
That's what we figured... See below.

Dandy Don said:

The question about whether disclaiming can benefit anyone else or not can not be answered until you read a copy of the will. If you don't know which county courthouse probate court to contact, please mention the name of the city that the death occurred in and the name of the decedent and I can get the address and phone number for you. Yes, you can order a copy of the will if it has been provided to the probate court.
Update: a few phone calls placed yesterday after I posted this taught us that the will in fact is NOT up for probate, but it is on file at the county probate court. We have requested a copy. Note: we know which county the will is filed in & have phone numbers etc. (hurray for internet)

Furthermore, we contacted the IRS in Springfield, IL directly about the citizenship/tax situation and they assured us that citizenship would not be an issue. It only means that my mother needs to fill out different tax forms (namely 1040NR for federal/state taxes--> Non Resident) than would a citizen.

Finally, the co-executor informed us that he would have to complete form 706 (estate tax) within 9 months (I believe) of the passing date. He expects to need the full 9 months. He also mentioned that he did receive the completed W8BEN form my mother sent him & confirmed that by e-mail.

We are looking into the possibility of hiring an attorney, but that also is very difficult to arrange from overseas in the sense that judging an attorney's competence by his/her website or telephone manners is virtually impossible. We may have to fly in & talk to people personally for that. In the meantime: if anyone knows a good attorney in the Cook county area, I'm all ears.

Probably more to come soon!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">