• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TPR during adoption process?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hbriggs007

What is the name of your state? KY

When an adoption is filed, when during this process do they terminate parental rights of the bio parent?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

hbriggs007 said:
What is the name of your state? KY

When an adoption is filed, when during this process do they terminate parental rights of the bio parent?
**A: when there is a hearing and the court approves the adoption petition and orders TPR.

M

momofthreeinKY

i am wondering how you are going about this process as I need to do it too and have found no help anywhere for the past two months. Legal aid won't help and neither will cabinet for families and children. I have a son whose bio father has not seen him in almost two years and before that it was three and hasn't paid child support in six years except the last time he came around he decided to pay 200 dollars on a arrearages of over 7000 and that is the last weve seen or heard from him? Please let meknow Thank you very much

H

hbriggs007

sorry....

Well, in this case, the NCP was asked to terminate his rights to allow a step parent adoption and it was agreed upon. Both have lawyers that will be handling the paperwork and process as well, so not sure how to answer your question on how to go about it on your own. Have you contacted any lawyers for a free consultation? That would be your best bet! Wish I could be of more help.

Thought I'd send this link:

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/krs/199-00/502.PDF

M

momofthreeinKY

OH well

Hey Thanks anyways for replying. I have been doing this for two months and I guess I will just do the best I can. Would you though, if its not too personal, tell me what they are basing it on so I know what is able to be used. I understand If you don't want to Thanks

H

hbriggs007

This was not involuntary. The CP married recently and wants her new husband to adopt. She asked the NCP for his approval based on her own personal reasons, and it was agreed upon. He's always paid support and established court ordered visitation over a year ago, due to him returning from overseas, where he was the first 4 years of the child's life. So, according to what HomeGuru says, his parental rights won't be terminated until the adoption petition is approved and the courts order TPR.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">