• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aaboys

What is the name of your state? New York

My divorced was filed on January 16, 2003. Our divorce was finally completed as of August 6th 2003. My ex-wife made a big deal about how she cannot wait to get rid of her marriage name and resume using her maiden name. To this date she continues to use my name. Is there anythging I can do to stop her from using my last name now that we are officially divorced?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

aaboys said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My divorced was filed on January 16, 2003. Our divorce was finally completed as of August 6th 2003. My ex-wife made a big deal about how she cannot wait to get rid of her marriage name and resume using her maiden name. To this date she continues to use my name. Is there anythging I can do to stop her from using my last name now that we are officially divorced?

My response:

No. There is no law, regulation, or any other legal fiat that requires a person to change their marriage name once a divorce is final. In summary, if she chooses, she can go to her grave with the marriage name.

IAAL

E

emotionbeatdown

Did you ever think that maybe she does it as a way to get at you. I wouldn't even mention anything about it to her if you do because it sounds like she is trying to just have something to hold on to you with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">