• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

community property liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trfpat

What is the name of your state? washington

if my wife goes further into debt by taking out some kinda loan, against my will and/or knowledge (or co-signing a student loan), would I still be liable for such debt in our community property state? websites say I would be liable for debt incurred, but what if that debt was incurred by deceit (a kin to fraud?)?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

trfpat said:
What is the name of your state? washington

if my wife goes further into debt by taking out some kinda loan, against my will and/or knowledge (or co-signing a student loan), would I still be liable for such debt in our community property state? websites say I would be liable for debt incurred, but what if that debt was incurred by deceit (a kin to fraud?)?

My response:

Under most circumstances, one spouse can cause the other spouse to be equally liable for a debt incurred during marriage in a Community Property State, such as Washington State.

But, I would like to read your circumstances for a theory of "deceit" or "fraud".

IAAL

T

trfpat

Oh, I just thought that since I told her "no more debt", and if she did it anyway, that it would show she did it without my consent and she lied and covered it up, hense "fraud" and/or "deciet". I don't know, I'm just a hayseed forester from the sticks trying to protect myself and save my marriage, that's all.

PS The jargon used on this site is kinda hard to finger out.

T

trfpat

Well, I typed up a dealie about our finances and said in it that I was willing to go to great lengths to avoid further financial damage inflicted by her and her daughter, but, hell, you're right, it wasn't signed, notarized, witnessed, nothing. Come to think of it, it still might not be worth the paper it was written on in court, anyway.

It has become obvious to me that my wife's "drink" or "drug" is her daughter, and she does not seem willing to get help. I didn't sober up 11 years ago to get dragged back to the pit by someone else's addiction, especially when there is no willingness.

Gee, sounds to me like it might just be easier to get divorced...I looked for the edge of the world to jump off, but God made it round so I will hafta face up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">