• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Long Does It Take For A Step-parent To Adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monnickasmommy

What is the name of your state? AZ

Due to the lack of visitation my ex wife is allowing- that I have won and the fighting I had/have been doing over the last 4 years , I have decided to VOLENTARY sign off my parental rights with my 10 year old daughter , she has seen me 2x in person over the last 9 years- MOM left me . I was in the Military, she went back to her home country. I have been paing child support FAITHFULLY, I set it up- for the last 5 1/2 years @ 200.00 a month-250.00 a month at times. (court order)

The stepfather wanted to adopt her always has but never forced it unless I decided to give a written permission to do it- I did a 8 weeks ago-

My ex wife did not have a chance to speek to me on the phone since I told her that it was all her fault and SHE AGREED IT WAS because she did not want the daughter to leave her state - that is why she kept on moving because the court order gave "special states " where visitation can be issued.
He husband agreed to apopt my daughter.

My wife got a phone call today and she my ex wife sayed that she talked to her attorney and the paper work is still be drafted
( I told her if she slandered me/ put me down in any way or shape I will refuse to sign the papers until they are the TRUTH and correct.)

She also stated that they can not do nothing until the next year because all the courts are full. Would not give a date of filing.

The questions I have is :
1. If/when the adoption takes place can or does the socical security number change ?

2. Does the childs last name change or can she keep mine, since she is used it for the last 10 years ? Or should it be the child's choice ?

3. Is asking for a picture of her each year too much-

I am trying to do a sorta open adoption where I still have some pictures-

I did not do this because I dont love her- This was a choice we my family and I had to make- Can not afford to keep travling back and forth and miss work because the mom wants it her way - We have spent over 6.000 or more on this case already .

Child and mom and step parent live in Michigan- does any one know there laws on adoption -

Last edited:

H

hbriggs007

The questions I have is :
1. If/when the adoption takes place can or does the socical security number change ?

**The child's social will not change.

2. Does the childs last name change or can she keep mine, since she is used it for the last 10 years ? Or should it be the child's choice ?

**The child's last name will change to reflect adoptive parent and it will also change on the birth certificate, also listing adoptive parent as father on the BC.

3. Is asking for a picture of her each year too much-

I am trying to do a sorta open adoption where I still have some pictures-

**You can try to put a stipulation as part of the adoption to allow you to recieve updates and pictures, but the mother may or may not agree to it.

I do not know the adoption laws in your state, but the answers to your questions should be fairly standard in all states.

M

monnickasmommy

The child's social will not change

Thank you - Therefor when she turns 18 or 21 I can look for her and show her how stupied her mother was all these year to not allow me to see her- My wife and I have 3 of the 5" notebooks full of court documents pictures, and cards we sent her that we got returned .

The child's last name will change to reflect adoptive parent and it will also change on the birth certificate, also listing adoptive parent as father on the BC.

That is fine- She can always change it back (hopefully) when she finds out the truth-

Will it be hard for the child to go from A..... to B...... my last name to her new adoptive name that she has been using in school and dr apts ect .

**You can try to put a stipulation as part of the adoption to allow you to recieve updates and pictures, but the mother may or may not agree to it.

That is one of the things I put in my papers for her that I do get pictures of her or I will not sign the papers I will contine to chase her around and make her life ****

I just wanted another opion on that - there will be no phone/personal communications just photos of her that she sends me.

Tax question - Can her new adoptive - current stepparent write off the adoption cost his attorney fees off on Taxes ? Under the adoption law.

H

hbriggs007

Will it be hard for the child to go from A..... to B...... my last name to her new adoptive name that she has been using in school and dr apts ect .

**It depends on the child. It may or may not be a difficult transition for her.

That is one of the things I put in my papers for her that I do get pictures of her or I will not sign the papers I will contine to chase her around and make her life ****

I just wanted another opion on that - there will be no phone/personal communications just photos of her that she sends me.

**If you're unsure of this whole adoption, DON'T do it then. Don't hold this stipulation over her head. Either you want to let the step parent adopt for whatever reasons, are you don't.

Tax question - Can her new adoptive - current stepparent write off the adoption cost his attorney fees off on Taxes ? Under the adoption law.

**No, attorney fees are not something you can 'write off' on taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">