• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DIY Divorce???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Broken

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My wife of 7-years and I are going to get a divorce. I've talked to a few attorneys, and if we can agree on everything, it's going to cost me about $2000 to get it done. Problem is, I don't have that kind of money. Some have said that I can make 4-payments of $500 each, but even that would be very difficult. My wife had us so backwards on our bills, it's going to take me a little while to get on my feet. I've found several web-sites that talk about filing for divorce with their paperwork kit for only $149 or similar amounts. Is this an acceptable way to go? I'm really hoping my wife and I can agree on everything, so this would definately make things easier on both of us as well as our kids... I'm just wondering if it's the right way to go or not. Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!

gphjr

The right way?

The right way to go is the way that gets you your divorce with the least amount of pain. Which may I say is not possible. Theres gonna be PAIN.

1. You have children
2. You have other bills
3. Does she work also?
she may want spousal support.
4. You will have to pay child support.
5. is there a house that you own together?
she'll want that
You should consult with her before you go and get a do it yourself kit.
Spouses tend to change thiers minds in the middle and want everything they can get. In the mean time save your money. open up an account in your name only and never disclose it. if you do your spouse will want half.

Good luck and keep your chin tucked in you don't want to get knocked the f**K OUT.

Broken

1. Yes, we have two daughters.
2. The only debt we have is two auto loans. One she's taking, and one I'm taking.
3. Yes, she works part time, but has plenty of time to work more.
4. Neither one of us can afford to lose 1/3 of our income. I think we're going to waive child support, and just make sure the children are taken care of together.
5. No, we don't have a house. We've been living in an apartment.

As for the bank account, I've already set one up for myself only... and I'm just waiting for everything to clear from the other one before I close it.

gphjr

I know you have children, you said that. Who is going to get them?
What is going to be the visitation schedule?
She gonna waive CS, and work more? What about child care, how is that going to be paid?
Is she going to pay for her car and you yours?
what about the car insurance?
medical and dental, who is the primary?
Since your hoping that you and your wife can agree you have not discussed anything wiht her I persimme. Don't be suprised when she changes her mind: Should she talk to a lawyer. If you can agree a do it yourself kit is perfect. I havve put the site that I got all my info from when I got a divorce. I didn't do it myself but I got a lot of info from. It helped with the direction and kept my cost down. I spent only 3K on mine. That including what I had to pay her lawyer. I go mine in OK.
http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/states/ill/illinois.htm

Good Luck.

smorr

I'm not sure waiving child support is a good idea - even though I understand you're both in supposed agreeance - for the moment.... If you do decide to go that route, however, I'd make sure there's a solid agreement in the divorce papers filed in the court that protect both of you, should one of you lose your jobs. So much can go wrong if the agreements are lightly taken. You may or may not be able to tailor your child support payments so that each of you pays a certain amount without strapping your pocketbooks, but - and I hate to be rude here, you both decided to have the children - you should not be compromising their needs for a bigger paycheck and that goes for both you AND your wife.

Also, how old are your daughters - the wife may physically be able to work more hours, but can she do that without taking away time from the girls? Will you pick up the slack in that case - can you afford to pick up the slack in that case?!!

You should be able to do this divorce 'pro-se', meaning on your own, without an attorney. And you don't need a KIT! Many courts have the forms you need at little to no cost to you depending on your state. You will have to pay a fee for filing the petition to start the divorce, but after that it shouldn't be more than time spent making it final or ironing out problems (if any arise). But, I agree - don't be surprised if she changes her mind on many of the 'agreements' you've already tried to put in place! If you have a friend you can confide in that may have gone through a divorce also, see if you can get an idea of what their divorce agreement included. You may be able to use language from that and tailor it to your situation. In any event I'd pay an attorney to at least look at the document for accuracy and legal content so it doesn't backfire when you need it least!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">