• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank won't allow me to cash checks in my "business" name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eddiepowers

What is the name of your state? az

I want bank of america to allow me to cash a check that is written to evp enterprises, or whatever name I decide to use, but they want me to go to the state and register my trade name. In az it is not mandatory to register anything or pay any filing fees, etc. So, why can't I just have the bank add that name next to my real name and allow me to cash a check just like any other check?

HomeGuru

eddiepowers said:
What is the name of your state? az

I want bank of america to allow me to cash a check that is written to evp enterprises, or whatever name I decide to use, but they want me to go to the state and register my trade name. In az it is not mandatory to register anything or pay any filing fees, etc. So, why can't I just have the bank add that name next to my real name and allow me to cash a check just like any other check?
**A: because that is not bank policy. Legally, your company is a separate entity from you as an individual.

JETX

"In az it is not mandatory to register anything or pay any filing fees, etc."
*** Yes. If you are doing business (d/b/a) another name, that name MUST be registered with the authorities. This is to protect both you and the consumers.

"So, why can't I just have the bank add that name next to my real name and allow me to cash a check just like any other check?"
*** Because that is NOT your name. If what you were doing is allowed, I could simply add "Eddie Powers" to my checking account, intercept YOUR checks and deposit them to my account.
Further, banking laws require the bank to have certain identification for ANY account holder. In the case of the d/b/a, that would be a copy of your business registration document.

E

eddiepowers

okay I see the point on being able to cash others' checks, etc. thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">