• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-girlfriend debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IgnorantWT

What is the name of your state? ohio
Iwant to know if I can sue my ex-girlfriend for money she owes me. I paid for her tires and a last payment on her rent-to-own furniture. I have the amount on my credit card bill for the tires. I'm trying to get a copy of the receipt for the furniture from the store. It has my signature on it. I'm also trying to get an account of the tire purchase to show the tire sell, what size tire and what car it was put on.
The total for the tires was @$170 and it was $275 for the furniture. The tire purchase was made in August and so was the furniture payment. She has also borrowed $40 for a haircut and $20 for gas. I told her that if I could do laundry at $1 a load, I'll subtract it from her debt. I took off $20 for laundry. She has paid a little at a time but still owes me $325. I have no records of when she has paid and how much she has paid.
What can I do?

HomeGuru

IgnorantWT said:
What is the name of your state? ohio
Iwant to know if I can sue my ex-girlfriend for money she owes me. I paid for her tires and a last payment on her rent-to-own furniture. I have the amount on my credit card bill for the tires. I'm trying to get a copy of the receipt for the furniture from the store. It has my signature on it. I'm also trying to get an account of the tire purchase to show the tire sell, what size tire and what car it was put on.
The total for the tires was @$170 and it was $275 for the furniture. The tire purchase was made in August and so was the furniture payment. She has also borrowed $40 for a haircut and $20 for gas. I told her that if I could do laundry at $1 a load, I'll subtract it from her debt. I took off $20 for laundry. She has paid a little at a time but still owes me $325. I have no records of when she has paid and how much she has paid.
What can I do?
**A: drop it and stop wasting our time on such miniscule trivial matters.

I

IgnorantWT

What do you mean DROP IT? This is money, not a petty argument?
If you don't have any legal advice on why I should drop it, don't respond and quit wasting my time.

HomeGuru

IgnorantWT said:
What do you mean DROP IT? This is money, not a petty argument?
If you don't have any legal advice on why I should drop it, don't respond and quit wasting my time.
**A: Hey Ignorant WombaT, where is your evidence that she owes you the money? Do you have a signed promissory note, IOU, contract to reimburse or anything like that? $325 is not a lot of money. Ok, then hire an attorney at $150 and hour and pay $1500 to collect $325. No wonder you got a user name like you have.

B

bbajanet

Ouch, now that hurt.
Look, in all honesty he has a point. In not so many words, you will probably have to eat it. I once lived with a guy and we shared a joint checking account. We ended up breaking up and I did waste not only time, but money. I, too, paid for some furniture for him, along with some credit card bills, and etc. My debt equaled up to a lot more than 325 dollars, however, I just had to live and learn. I can not offer any legal opinions on the matter, but I can say that I agree with the lawyer in the aspect that you should drop it. Your need to get the money back could possibly be more emmotional than actually needing the money. To actually sue her for such a small amount would cost you more money, as stated above, on a debt that probably would never even be paid without more costly efforts (on your part) such as garnishing her wages. I feel for you, I really do, but like I said, live and learn with the mistakes made. Do not be so kind unless you perhaps have a wedding band on your finger. (Which is why I do not!) Good luck to you!

HomeGuru

bbajanet said:
Ouch, now that hurt.
Look, in all honesty he has a point. In not so many words, you will probably have to eat it. I once lived with a guy and we shared a joint checking account. We ended up breaking up and I did waste not only time, but money. I, too, paid for some furniture for him, along with some credit card bills, and etc. My debt equaled up to a lot more than 325 dollars, however, I just had to live and learn. I can not offer any legal opinions on the matter, but I can say that I agree with the lawyer in the aspect that you should drop it. Your need to get the money back could possibly be more emmotional than actually needing the money. To actually sue her for such a small amount would cost you more money, as stated above, on a debt that probably would never even be paid without more costly efforts (on your part) such as garnishing her wages. I feel for you, I really do, but like I said, live and learn with the mistakes made. Do not be so kind unless you perhaps have a wedding band on your finger. (Which is why I do not!) Good luck to you!
**A: this is a great "reality check" post.

B

bbajanet

Actually, I think it a great "reality check" post. We all do stupid things and we must kick ourselves in the a#& and move on! Your advice was good and true, just a bit harsh. (However, I do like your dry sense of humor, grouch potato!) ; )
Have a good one!:D

JETX

Not surprisingly, I agree with HG.

I would like to have a nickel for every post where two people decide to live together and co-mingle their finances, without ANY consideration for the inevitable break-up.

They then expect someone else to try to 'divvy up' the nickels and dimes that each party claims to owe the other...... all without ANY consideration for some type of repayment agreement or understanding.

To paraphrase Judy Schiendlin.... "Don't make a mess of your financial 'co-mingling', then expect the court to undo it!".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">