• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

janma

What is the name of your state? TN My mom died on the 18th of May 2003. She and my dad owned a house and when she died the house went to him. He has been in a nursing home for the past three years. I was told that when he died the state would put a lien on the house as they were helping with his nursing home costs under TN care. There is also a second mortgage on the house of about $6,000. My question is do I have to probate the estate. I have nothing to gain by doing so obviously. Why should I have to pay to probate this estate when I have nothing to gain from it. The house is just sitting there empty. Do I let the bank foreclose on the second mortgage and let them and the state haggle it out or what? :confused: I for got to mention that my dad died the 1st day of August 2003 Thanks

Dandy Don

If the house could sell for a reasonable amount, then you might be able to get a part of the profits after the lien is paid off and the home is sold. Therefore probate would be necessary for you and/or your siblings to be legally, officially established as heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">