• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advice on a small claims case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imastinkerpot

What is the name of your state? CA
I have this case in which this mover moved my goods last February & my camcorder was mysteriously lost.
This guy was a private mover, not one with a big moving company.
The judge awarded me $350 which was to be paid by Nov. 17.03.
One week before the money was due, the wife sent a check for $50. She apparently has a beauty salon so the check was written against her business checking account.
Can I get the rest of the money by attaching the amount owed to her business account?
His name is not on that account, so I am not sure if I can do this or not.

He is also a self-employed mover.
Is there any other means that I can use if I can't attach this to her account?

Thanks

imastinkerpot

B

bbajanet

The lawyers will correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that you can attach this to the wife's checking account.
My business advice, however, as long as the check that you received does not state that it is "paid in full" you can deposit it send them a receipt (nothing fancy, just something off the computer will do) with the remaining balance. Send the receipt certified mail to them. (This way you have proof that they received the receipt in the case that you have to go through furhter means to collect your award. Stay on top of your money, because most small claims go unpaid, even when awarded. A lot of people must go through several steps to actually collect, such as garnishing wages, etc. (which can be quite costly on your part.) Which, in the end could result in a lot more than $350.00. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">