• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TSP and FERS retirment and entitlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nan34

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am urgently requesting some assistance on the following matter. I am in the process of getting a divorce. My spouse is an active TSP (Thrift Savings Program) and FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System) participant and has been since the beginning of our marriage. I have read literature pertaning to the TSP and FERS and I know that I am entitled to at least 50% of my husband's retirment, unless otherwise specified on the divorce decree. I have also read that my husband needs my signed consent in order to take out a TSP loan, since the divorce is not final. My husband and his attorney informed my attorney and me that my husband was going to submit a hardship claim to make yet another TSP loan withdrawal. They also told us that he did not need my consent to do this. His hardship cliam has to do with him needing over $30,000.00 in legal fees to hire a ciminal defense attorney. All of this has to do with the impending divorce. Are what my husband and his attorney saying true? He took out a previous TSP loan of $13,000.00 two months before he moved out and filed for divorce. Could I possibly obtain a copy of the consent for that loan? Because I do not recall signing it! Please advice!!!!

enjay

You are correct in that he needs your consent to remove money from the TSP. Your primary contact point should be his agency's benefits office. If they can't help you, call the TSP Service Office at (504) 255-5199. I can't imagine there would be a problem obtaining a document with your signature, real or forged. You may need to make a Privacy Act request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">