• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for options to recover piano

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JME

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My dad sold his mobile home to an older man at the end of July. My piano was still in one of the bedrooms because we couldn't get it out. The man said he would get a couple of men to lift it out for us and would let us come get it at a later date. He did not give a certain time frame, but we told him we wanted the piano (we specified - verbally - that it was not a part of the sale of the home) and he agreed.

In Sept., my uncle called to make arrangements to pick up the piano and the man told him that he sold it to his daughter in Ark. It took several calls before my uncle was able get in touch with him. We tried to contact him and were unable to. We stopped calling for a while because my dad had surgery and I was taking care of him. We tried to call again on Sunday, and finally talked to him. The man gave us the same story about selling the piano. We don't think he really sold - he just doesn't want to give it to us because he's mad at my dad for not helping him move the trailer.

I would like to know what I can do. Can I press charges against him for theft/withholding property? Or should I just take him to small claims court? I've had the piano for 20 years, but I'm not sure about the specifics of it (model, value, etc.) so if I took him to court, what amount should I file for? I really just want my piano back, but he's sticking to his story and refuses to let me have it. Now I have a piano bench, but no piano.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

HomeGuru

JME said:
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My dad sold his mobile home to an older man at the end of July. My piano was still in one of the bedrooms because we couldn't get it out. The man said he would get a couple of men to lift it out for us and would let us come get it at a later date. He did not give a certain time frame, but we told him we wanted the piano (we specified - verbally - that it was not a part of the sale of the home) and he agreed.

In Sept., my uncle called to make arrangements to pick up the piano and the man told him that he sold it to his daughter in Ark. It took several calls before my uncle was able get in touch with him. We tried to contact him and were unable to. We stopped calling for a while because my dad had surgery and I was taking care of him. We tried to call again on Sunday, and finally talked to him. The man gave us the same story about selling the piano. We don't think he really sold - he just doesn't want to give it to us because he's mad at my dad for not helping him move the trailer.

I would like to know what I can do. Can I press charges against him for theft/withholding property? Or should I just take him to small claims court? I've had the piano for 20 years, but I'm not sure about the specifics of it (model, value, etc.) so if I took him to court, what amount should I file for? I really just want my piano back, but he's sticking to his story and refuses to let me have it. Now I have a piano bench, but no piano.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!
**A: buy another piano. You should have moved it before your Dad sold the place. There is nothing in writing proving your point. Next time be more proactive and responsible.

JETX

"Can I press charges against him for theft/withholding property?"
*** No.

"Or should I just take him to small claims court?"
*** You certainly have the right to take legal action against him. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone over almost anything. However, since you effectively 'abandoned' the piano by not moving it prior to the sale, or at least soon afterwards, your claim is weak at best.

"I've had the piano for 20 years, but I'm not sure about the specifics of it (model, value, etc.) so if I took him to court, what amount should I file for?"
*** You are going to have to determine SOME value for the piano before you can file any lawsuit. You will also have to be able to PROVE that value if need be.

"I really just want my piano back, but he's sticking to his story and refuses to let me have it. Now I have a piano bench, but no piano."
*** Then you should have gotten the piano BEFORE the sale, or at least documented its ownership and recovery in writing at the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">