• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Durable Power of Atty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bolio98

Both my parents (in Virginia) have durable power of atty for finances. The first person mentioned is each other. I.e. my father assigns to my mother and vice versa. The phrase used for this assignment is "I Mr. X heberby make, constitute and appoint Mrs. X....in any way in which I myself could do if I were personally present". I am the next party or assignee in both cases. We (the family) think that we need to step in now and begin to handle their financial life. Is this already executed power of atty enough? The second party in each case must be "unable or refuses or ceases to act" before the third party can act.

Thank you.

vrzirn

Not sure about your State but I believe you need certification from two doctors to declare incompetance. You need these letters on each parent to present to the Court along with whatever documentation you have. You might also keep a record of incidents that show their inability to responsibly handle their finances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">