• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pension and alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cgjmd

What is the name of your state? NJ.... I have just recently been divorce after being married for 14 years, 10m of which were in the military and the last part of a 30 yr. career. I have a pension and my wife wants 40% although she was with me only the last 10 after I already earned the first part of my pension. NJ is a state where you split "what was earned in a divorce", in this case 25% of 1/3 of my pension. What should the percentage be?

I am also out of the house after getting hurt and supporting her and a stepson during those years. I can no longer work as before and consider that since she left because she can afford to having gone back to work finally as a nurse, she should have to give me alimony. I never caused her to give up her career and she didn't until 5 years ago when she wanted to. Am I entitled to alimony?

[email protected]:mad: :confused:

gphjr

I can do the math for you but then you would not have to work hard. http://www.militarydivorceonline.com/ here is a web site that can calculate that number you want. It has lots of info about military divorces. I guess she new her time limit to get you. These are tough days sir. Does she gross more then you do? Have you file for disability? Did you ask for alimony in the divorce? your not going to get what you don't asked for. Don't forget to ask for part of her retirement. Remember EVERYTHING is split according to the law. Your due a percentage of her retirement since you have put 5years in with her. Also confer with your attorney. If she makes more then you ask for her to pay your attorney fees too.

H

happynow

cgjmd,
I have reaserching the USFSPA because I am is a similar situation. The award of your retirement is not automatic. If you would Like to email me I can give you some info that I have found.
[email protected]

A

AZdave

Military

Like many I am in a simular situation except I am not retired yet... There is a common math formula used for those who have already retired and it is as follows:

(Total number months married while active duty) 1
------------------------------------------------------------- X ___
(Total number of months you were in the service) 2

I have done extensive research on this and the formula above is most comonly used.

Example: If I read your statement correctly, you were married to her for 14 years 10 months. That is equal to 178 months. If you were in the military 30 years that is equal to 360 months.

178 1
----- X --- = 24.72% is her share.
360 2

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">