• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by ex!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sanjuro

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hey, great forum here! I just received a summons to small claims court. Basically an ex of mine took out a loan to pay off my credit card. We lived together for a while, shared no accounts or anything, only co-signing a lease for an apartment. We bought a computer and some furniture. When we broke up I took the computer and continued to pay $300 a month to her for the credit card loan she took out (she kind of tried to take control of my life, even calling the credit folks pretending she was me).

The loan she took out was for approximately $6500, of which I did not cosign. I've paid at least $5000 on this, but now she is suing me for two counts - one at $4300 and another at $1427. So I'm taking it she's suing for the credit loan and the second is for the computer, which she lists as non-payment of credit card loan.

I don't mind paying the balance, and if the cpu was paid on her credit card, I wouldn't even consider disputing it (even if she kept all the furniture, which she did). I guess my question is, in small claims court, what am I actually liable for?

B

bbajanet

HA HA HA!
Let your ex sue you. If you had no signed contract then you are not liable to pay her back for a loan that she took out in her name. Her loss. (However, you could possibly have a moral obligation to pay her back.) What could possibly hurt you is the fact that you have been making payments to her for the loan. The only reason this could hurt your case is because you showed that you owed her for some amount. But, take into consideration that the amount that you did owe her was not specified (unless you had this in writing.) She is probably going to have to live and learn in this situation, it sounds likes. So, take it easy, it is not the end of the world. She could have paid your credit cards in a gift of kindness, who knows? However, a word of advice, next time you live with a girl before marriage think of the enivitable break-up before you commit finances. Good luck!

S

Sanjuro

Hey, thanks for the advice, my friend. It's basically a situation where I feel I've paid back what was owed. You're right about finances, too - - an ex often forgets that you were both working toward a certain goal. It doesn't always work out, I guess.

slanglep

I have been to small claims court a few times and it sounds like she does not have much of a case.

I suggest you have receipts or documents showing any payments you made to back up your side of the story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">