• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto title help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

imotioneg6

texas
i bought a car and lost title before it could be put in my name
i got a hold of prev. owner, and he said he would get it.
its been almost a year and i havent been able to drive or sell car.
what do i do?

if this is in wrong forum please move..... thank you.

JETX

"Is this a lost cause?"
*** Nope. But you are going to need the assistance of the previous owner (current title holder).

This is from the Texas DOT site:
Applicants for a certified copy of title may be the owner of record, lienholder, or verifiable agent of either. Whether the application is submitted by mail or walk-in, all applicants must provide to the department:
* A properly completed Application for Certified Copy of Title (Form VTR-34)*, which is available at all VTR Regional Offices, County Tax Assessor-Collectors’ Offices, and on VTR’s Fax on Demand at 1-888-232-7033 or this web site.

* The appropriate fee - $2.00 for mail-in applications and $5.45 for walk-in applications. (If mailed, the fee should be in the form of a check, cashier’s check, or money order made payable to the Texas Department of Transportation.) Please do not mail cash.

* Photo ID (government-issued photo ID, such as Texas or other state driver’s license, government identification card, U.S. Passport, or military identification) of the person signing the Form VTR-34*. (In cases of joint ownership, government-issued photo ID for each individual owner of record is required.)

* If mailing by overnight or express mail through a mail service which requires a physical address, mail to the VTR Regional Office nearest you, using the appropriate street address on the back of the Form VTR-34*.
Source: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/vtrreginfo.htm?pg=faq

The forms can be downloaded from:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/vtrreginfo.htm?pg=form1

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">