• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trustee compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PAKSEAN

What is the name of your state? California

I have just received an accounting of the trust for my Mother-In-Law. She lived in California. My sister in law who is the trustee received $14,000.00 in compensation from the trust. Is there any limits by law as to what she should get. There was no amount listed in the trust and she has been ill so all of the work was done by the attorney.

Also what is the current federal tax exemption on estates?

vrzirn

Compensation to the executrix is based on a formula determined by law. You may find it on an IRS webpage. Part of the compensation may be her fee and part may be a refund of expenses she paid on behalf of the estate. Ask the attorney for a detailed accounting.
The current exemption on estate tax is, I believe, 1 mill.

Dandy Don

Rates for trustee fees differ from executor fee rates and are known, confidentially, only by trust attorneys, so you will need to consult with a trust attorney to find out what a reasonable rate would be.

vrzirn

Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro, LLP, have an excellent website explaining the difference between executor fees and trustee fees and when each would apply.
Some of those fees you are not ever entitled to know. Others are based upon a formula calculated by the size of the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">