• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental health & divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

homersmama

What is the name of your state?Georgia
My sister is mental ill and after 23 years of marraige was dropped off at my house with two bags of clothes and a bed fit for a 10 year old (she is 49). The day before Thanksgiving she received divorce papers stating that she gets all she has with her and he gets all the bills, house, 2 cars, and she can have whatever she wants in the house. She has no right to his pension, retirement or any other monies. It also states that she is of sound mind with no mental defects. That's the part that worries me. She IS mentally handicapped. I don't want a leagal paper to state otherwise. I am afraid it will come back to hurt her in future dealings with Social Security disablility etc. Can anyone use the information in a divorce document to keep her from getting mental health help in the future? I do not want to "take him to the cleaner" as he has taken care of her for a long time. I just don't want to hurt any future decisions pretaining to her state of mind.

H

hexeliebe

Slow down and back up a minute. Is this 'paper' a divorce decree from a court or her husband's attorney filing?

H

homersmama

hexeliebe said:
Slow down and back up a minute. Is this 'paper' a divorce decree from a court or her husband's attorney filing?
Sorry I don't know how to use a forum too well, just a beginner.
It's her husbands attorney filing.

H

hexeliebe

That makes sense. It's nothing but a legal ploy for him not to have to pay support, medical or anything else.

Now, the first thing you do is to take this document, your sister, and march yourself to an attorney. Do not answer it yourself, do not call the attorney nor the husband and do not discuss this with anyone outside of your sister.

As that the new attorney have an immediate psych evaluation.

Come back after you've discussed with the new attorney what her options are. We could give you all kinds of scenarios here, but until you get moving you won't know exactly what the situation is.

H

homersmama

hexeliebe said:
That makes sense. It's nothing but a legal ploy for him not to have to pay support, medical or anything else.

Now, the first thing you do is to take this document, your sister, and march yourself to an attorney. Do not answer it yourself, do not call the attorney nor the husband and do not discuss this with anyone outside of your sister.

As that the new attorney have an immediate psych evaluation.

Come back after you've discussed with the new attorney what her options are. We could give you all kinds of scenarios here, but until you get moving you won't know exactly what the situation is.
Ya that all sounds good except, I only bring home $300.00 a week and was just barely making it before this. Legal Aid is not taking any new clients until after the 1st of the year. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. He offered me his 98 ford ranger and $500.00 to sign. Looks like I might have to take it.

H

hexeliebe

so who is this divorce paper regarding, your sister or you? Your post is beginning to make no sense at all.

First you tell us it's your sister's husband and now you're telling me He is offering YOU things to sign. Which is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">