• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ironmullet

Hello all,

I live in Kentucky now and my ex girlfriend lives in Georgia. We were together for about 7 years. At one point during that relationship her parents gave me some old furniture they had to use when I got my own place. After a while I got a job out in Mississippi and payed to move both her and myself out there. While we were out there I supported both of us in all of our needs. I payed her doctor bills, the rent, the utilities, food and everything. Well you get the picture. While we lived out here we put some things that we needed on her credit card. I have since paid off about half of the balance of her credit card and had full intentions of paying the rest of it off until recent events. After about a year and a half my company was getting bought out and I didnt really know what was going to happen to my job or anything else in my life. We decided that it would be best if she moved back home to GA with her family and finished school there. My company was bought out and I was laid off. I then moved to KY and found work there. When she moved home she left all of the furniture that I had moved for her out with me. I have paid storage for this furniture for two years now as well. We split up shortly after I moved to KY. She is now demanding that I pay off the remainder of the balance on her credit card and also pay to move all of her furniture and the furniture that her parents gave me back to her in GA. Me being the good natured idiot that I am told her that I would pay the credit card off even though we were no longer together. Times got pretty tough for me what with storing all of her furniture and trying to scrape by a living with what I could for a while. Well. As you can see it is a long story. What I need to know is that do I really have to pay the rest of the credit card balance off (my name is not on the credit card slips or on the card itself) and do I have to return the furniture. I also found out that she was buying cigarettes for my 16 year old cousin back in GA and my Aunt called her on that one. After that she left some pretty nasty messages on my voice mail which I still have as well. I really dont want to have any more contact with her except for through a lawyer and I dont want to do any more than what I have to to get the situation over and for her to have no recourse on what is done. Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction of what I do and do not have to do and what would be the best course of action for me in the future with her?

Thanks so much in advance!

nextwife

I presume that the purchases on the card also benefited her at the time? Stuff for the household, meals, etc? Or were they only and exclusively for your benefit?

If they were joint purchases, I would suggest you see if the half you have already paid off be considered completion of YOUR split of financial responsibility for these purchases, leaving the other half her split. Additionally, she benefited from having the furniture there, so, as you paid the cost of getting it there for her to use, it is not unreasonable for her to, in turn, pay the cost of returning it. Seems equitable to me, espercially if you've always paid all her other living costs. That is how I'd approach it. I mean, she lived there too and used the stuff, why is every financial transaction associated with the breakup YOUR financial responsibilty?

Gawd. These woman who think everyone else should take care of them and that they have no financial responsibility of their own really irk me. She can get off her duff and work to pay for some of this, too.

If you entered into any type of contract or agreement to pay each of these items in full, then disregard my personal rant, which may not be fully correct legally.

Last edited:
I

ironmullet

I fully agree with you. She has never held down a full time job for any period of time more than a couple of weeks. You are also correct in figuring that all items on her card were for both of us. You are taking the same line of thought that I am in the whole matter that I have already done enough for this woman. I just need to know what I can and cannot do legally and I need to find a lawyer that will handle all conversations with her from here on out as I do not care to talk to her any longer after the threatening and harassing messages she has left on my voicemail recently. I just want the whole situation over with so that I can get on with my life.

j

H

hexeliebe

What I need to know is that do I really have to pay the rest of the credit card balance off (my name is not on the credit card slips or on the card itself) and do I have to return the furniture.
This is the one relevant information in your post.

Go see an attorney and pay the $100 or so fee for him/her to write a letter. In that letter you will stipulate the following options:

1. you will pay off the credit card and cancel the storage effective 30 days from the date of this letter. Whether she picks up the furniture or not is up to her.

2. You will cancel the storage, sell the furniture and use the proceeds to pay off the credit card bill.

3. You will give her 15 days from the postmark of this letter at which time you will consider her non-reply to be acceptance of option 2 above and will proceed accordingly.

You will also require a true and certified copy of the credit card bill listing all charges made in respect to the stored furniture, receipts from the stores where the furniture was purchased and a release signed and notarized by her releasing you from any further debt incurred by the two of you while together.

How much is left on the CC?

First, I am no lawyer. You can basically treat my thoughts as opinion, officially.

Ok, in regards to the credit card, assuming she in fact signed for the merchandise you bought together, then legally she is responsible for the purchases.

Sell the furniture if you can, get whatever it is, and send it to her, and make sure you send her a money order or check, so that there is a record of what she got.

With that, tell her you guys are even, and that is that. Tell her good riddance. She has no substantial merits to do anything against you, based on what you said. This was just a relationship that didn't work out, and anyone can see that.

I

ironmullet

I really appreciate all of your advice in this matter. Thank you all very much!

j

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">