• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce other state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HySpeed

What is the name of your state? MI

My brother and his wife are residents of Michigan. They got married 3 months ago in Las Vegas. It isn't working out, and he wants a divorce. Does he need to file for divorce in Nevada, or can it be done in Michigan?

There are no children or property issues.

(btw, I had other questions, and they were addressed by using the search function. I thank all those that have answered other people's questions.)
;)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HySpeed said:
What is the name of your state? MI

My brother and his wife are residents of Michigan. They got married 3 months ago in Las Vegas. It isn't working out, and he wants a divorce. Does he need to file for divorce in Nevada, or can it be done in Michigan?

There are no children or property issues.

(btw, I had other questions, and they were addressed by using the search function. I thank all those that have answered other people's questions.)
;)

My response:

The place of marriage has nothing to do with divorce. They could have been married in Malaysia, and it wouldn't matter. The ONLY thing that matters is "residency" within the State and County for the minimum period required by law. That ensures proper jurisdiction within the State and within the County where the filing of the Petition takes place.

So, assuming all residency requirements have been met in Michigan, then either one of them can file at the local courthouse.

IAAL

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
They file in the state they're residents of. But I hope both will take a bit more time and consideration before they next marry.

H

hexeliebe

As long as he qualifies as a resident of Michigan then that's where he can file.

It doesn't matter where they were married.

H

HySpeed

Thanks all.

They dated / lived together in Michigan for years. They went to LV just to get married.

The money quote; "She changed after the ring went on." Don't.They.All. Both sides. :)

Oh, and IAAL - I'm told it's not about speed - endurance is the key. :D

Thanks again.

HySpeed said:

Oh, and IAAL - I'm told it's not about speed - endurance is the key. :D
That depends on if he is doing a good job or not though! If it ain't happening, the longer it lasts, the more miserable the woman. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">