• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mediation, judgement, can't pay, HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigstar

What is the name of your state? Florida

I need help finding out what options someone has against me. My husband and I were sued, but settled in mediation after serious threats. The money was not a loan until the relationship went sour and then the gift immediately became a loan. There were no agreements. But we signed in mediation to pay it back. Due to financial difficulty - loss of employment and cancer and other medical "stuff" we have been unable to continue to pay her right now. She has said that if she does not get payment in one week she will "take further action". She has a judegement against us and it is on our credit. What are her options for "further action"? What should we prepare ourselves for? Do we have an option to go back to court and explain our circumstnaces or does it not matter since we signed in mediation? Please help me out! I would pay her to get her out of my life if I could but I just can't and we can prove that right now!

JETX

"What are her options for "further action"?"
*** She can start by seizing any non-exempt assets that you have, including possible garnishment of non-exempt wages and/or bank funds.

"What should we prepare ourselves for?"
*** See above.

"Do we have an option to go back to court and explain our circumstnaces or does it not matter since we signed in mediation?"
*** That would depend on what EXACTLY she has and whether it is in fact a judgment. If so, then you probably have no chance of returning to court to discuss payment.

"Please help me out! I would pay her to get her out of my life if I could but I just can't and we can prove that right now!"
*** Sorry, but if she has a valid judgment, she can start enforcing it immediately.

B

bigstar

That is my biggest question - what can she actually do to enforce it? Can she take things away from us, garnish wages or what?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">