• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sex abuse, and divorce while in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kali1

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice. My husband was arrested for molesting my daughter (his stepdaughter). He has admitted to it and signed a statement and there is a very good chance that he will be convicted - 3 to 5 year sentance here. I am planning to file for divorce, I am wondering how this works when he is in jail. This is marital property state, but if he is in jail, what rights does he have? I haven't contacted a lawyer yet, I know I will probably have to, but finances are a bit tight since I am paying all the household bills on just my income at the moment. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

stephenk

you have him served with the divorce petition. if he doesnt respond in time, you default him. then you get to have whatever you asked for in the divorce petition.

dont be so worried about how he will have to deal with the divorce paperwork. let him have the headaches.

K

kali1

clarification

Thanks for responding, I guess I should clarify that I am not worried about his feelings about the divorce, just wondering if he will be able to fight me on anything. I want to be able to keep the house and some other assets, and I am concerned about being responsible for all the debts since he can't help pay from behind bars.

stephenk

yes you will be responsible since he is in jail. Even if he agrees to be responsible for some debts, the creditors wont care since your name is also on the credit cards, mortgage, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">